Monday, May 31, 2010

Botched Brownies

Had a bit of a disaster night Friday, we had BIL and SIL over for some dinner and wine to watch the Eurovision Semis.  My first vegan dinner, so I decided to go the safe option and did a couscous and chickpea tagine and for dessert my much anticipated vegan brownies. 

All I can say is both were a bit of a disaster, first I forgot I had run out of Cumin and Coriander...sent the husband off to the shops.  In the meanwhile got started on my brownies, the batter looked pretty delicious and tasted fine too:







A few things went wrong, firstly I had my oven on too high, but this I will be honest with you is the crappiest oven I have ever had to bake with.  Then I decided I was too smart to follow the recipe, swapped the maple syrup with brown sugar and then left out the 1/4 cup of sucrat...I dont even know what that is!!!!  I also left the brownies in the oven too long.

Anyway, the result was crumbly, dry brownies.  I was so disappointed, while my guests ate it and even asked for seconds, I decided that playing around with recipes will result in...exactly this!!!! There was a positive though...Sweet William Chocolate chips are just delicious for baking...not so much eating plain. 

Soooooooo, Im not giving up....I am doing up a second batch, I will be converting Barefoot Contessa's Chocolate Brownies!!! I've got a whole tub of Nuttlex to substitute the butter and "No Egg" for the eggs...should turn out jjjuuuusssssttttttt fine....I think!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment