Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Boycotting the Bigwigs

Last night I had a moment of weakness, lying there on the couch watching "Come Dine With Me" my favourite show, I thought, what's a few eggs here and there and a cup of coffee going to do.  I was considering becoming a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian again, not to the same extent, but just making exceptions. 
That was until I was sent this, this morning:

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/take_action/dairy/

I cannot plead ignorance because I was already aware, but it came as a timely reminder.  While I signed off the letter I couldn't help but think, I was a National Foods employee not long ago, I loved all the free flavoured Milk, the free cheese, the little custards.  I used to give them away to family and friends, there were so many bottles of milk in the fridge we took them home.  I never gave any thought to what went into it, I imagined happy cows grazing away in the sunshine on green grasslands.  But that could not be further from the truth.

Each year in Australia one million bobby calves are sent off to slaughter as "waste-products" of the dairy industry


So today...I boycott the bigwigs, I will make an effort to choose my products carefully, I will give my money to organisations trying to make a difference, I will make an effort to go to my local farmers market instead of just making to with the crap Woolworths and Coles call vegies. No more Vitasoy, no more coffee from McDonalds, I will spend a few extra dollars to ensure I buy a quality, ethical product. 

I will extend this to my my personal items as well, all of my cleaning products are Earth, Make up after alot of trial and error I have settled on MAC, other products I use are Radox, Palmers Cocobutter (they now have a whole range of skin care which is excellent).  My biggest challenge is Shampoo, my silly hair will only ever agree with Garneir Herbal Essences, and I am yet to find a replacement...but I am doing my research and I am trying.  I am also researching perfume.  But in the meanwhile I believe that every little bit counts.

I will in one word...Make an Effort!!!


3 comments:

  1. Vitasoy is a National Foods product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh I see. Wow, I had no idea...

    The original company is a Hong Kong company:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitasoy

    But yeah, the local Aussie operation is a joint venture with National Foods, since 2001 apparently.

    ReplyDelete