Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chinese Takeway...at home

Yesterday was one of those days, went home starving and I needed to eat a good scrumptious meal. So I decided that we would have Asian and I would use some of the mock chicken I bought from the Lotus Supermarket.  I wouldn't call this meal healthy because of the mock meat, but substitute it for some tofu and you've got a good healthy Chinese takeaway meal...oh and very very simple.

"Chicken" Stirfry:

Ingredients:

1 packet mock chicken
2 cloves garlic
small piece of ginger finely sliced
1 fresh chilli (you can use less or more depending on your taste)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 Tsp sesame oil
2 TBS rice wine vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1tsp (or more) cornflour
veges: I used, 1 capsicum, chinese baby cabbage, spring onions, Broccoli

Method:

Fry Ginger, Garlic and chilli till fragrant
Add veges and stir fry
Add chicken (I baked the chicken before adding to veges so it was crispy)
To make sauce add soy, sesame oil, sugar, vinegar and conrflour and mix well
When veges are tender add sauce allow to cook and thicken.

Coconut Rice.

This is the easiest and yummiest thing ever.

1 Cup Basmati rice, soaked and rinsed till water ran clear
1 cup water
1 cups coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp Tumeric (for the colour)
salt to taste.

Method:

Combine all ingredients into a microwave dish
Cover with cling wrap
Cook on high for 12 to 14 minutes checking to see if rice is cooked.
Timings will depend on your microwave.

Note:  This rice can be made extra special by frying some cashews and sultana in some oil and adding when rice is done.  You can also add 1 clove and 1 cardamom pod when cooking.


6 comments:

  1. Just a quick note on healthiness: The mock meats are not necessarily always unhealthy. Not anymore than a "processed" soy product like tofu at any rate. It varies wildly.

    Some products are ultra-processed stuff and packed with MSG and various other additives, but others are really simple and natural, like just a mash of soy and wheat proteins, shredded mushroom stalks, and natural spices. Not much more "processed" than tofu really.

    It takes a bit of label-reading.

    Also, stuff from Singapore, Malaysia and especially Taiwan is almost certain to be honestly labelled. Stuff from mainland China is harder to trust.

    (This is just general advice about buying Asian grocery mock meats. I've been trying various ones for years and done some research.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to put them in "occasionally" only food catergory mainly due to their salt content. This chicken was extremely salty, I had to avoid salt in the rice just so it balenced out. This is also true with your sanatarium products, which is why I dont eat as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh ok, fair enough. :-)

    I don't really watch my salt content as such, but OTOH I don't even use salt directly at all (you'll never find me complaining that something "needs salt" and I've never reached for the salt at a table in my life.)

    But yeah, so much food today is pre-packaged with way too much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watch my salt content, after reading the article about the Sanitarium Hot dog having the same salt content of a Big Mac I decided that I had to reduce my intake of mock meat.

    Being vegan though I have to admit everything I eat is made from scratch, its not even hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I lived alone I didn't even keep salt in my place. There is already too much of it in the condiments and sauces I use in my cooking. So now I try to go for salt-reduced soy sauces and the like.

    Salt is one of those things that's pretty much impossible to "not get enough" of. And most of us probably get too much.

    (And I still don't know what the actual medical problem is with getting too much salt in the diet, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll tell you my issue with salt...water retention :D that is all :D

    ReplyDelete